I can’t remember a lot of the little things that happened in August, but a lot of big, exciting things happened and they were SUPER memorable 😀
- New Year’s Resolution Update: I will confess that I’ve snuck (sneaked?) a fry or two from B’s McDonald’s and In N Out meals… #guilty.
- Met up for good ol’ Korean food in KTown with a friend from Cal/Haas who moved down to LA and is engaged!! Crazy realizing I haven’t seen her in-person for four years!!
- Spent 3 of the 4 weekends in the OC… and for two of them, our friend the 405 had major closures. Ugh. Would love it if they could STOP DOING THAT. kthx.
- Attended C&S’ wedding and was a fun clash of worlds — B’s in dental school with C, but we met him through S, who was attending our church before she got engaged. Small world, right?
- More mini-reunions the next weekend at our friends’ baby’s “Dohl” (Korean first birthday party) — lots of friends from Cal, including meeting the adorable baby girl M! NEVER MET HER and loooooooved her. I think I just love babies… 😀
- Hung out and then ate out and stayed with old friends D&J at their house. It has a DOGGY DOOR! And Bella liked it! 😀
- A couple of delayed birthday gatherings with family 🙂
- TAYLOR SWIFT CONCERT AT THE STAPLES CENTER. AHHHHHH!!!! J & I were definitely the minority (in age and ethnicity) but we had SO MUCH FUN. AHHHH!!! It was a totally different kind of fun than the Bey concert — she is such a performer! I think she felt a little TOO polished at times, but I love love loved Holy Ground and all the crazy lights and acrobats going up and down. (Starting at around 2:45 of this video) and OMG SARA BAREILLES was one of the surprise guest stars! The other I had never heard of (Cheryl something) but when they were standing up there, you realize omg TSwift is tall! And 5’10” looks like that?!
- and then, my belated birthday present from B, was (drumroll) A TRIP TO DISNEYLAND! kekekekkek! We went with two other couple-friends and it was so fun. Spent a lot of time in CA Adventure, which I had only been to once, and even though we were waiting in line for 2 hours for Cars Land (before it broke down), the passes to cut the line were super awesome and we ended up riding everything worth riding that day, PLUS, awesome fireworks. WEEEE!
- The month ended with us flying from LA -> Louisville, KY to begin an epic road trip… which… I’ll post about separately. But basically we flew to KY, then rented a car and drove to St Louis, Kansas City, Tulsa, and Little Rock. Got to see a lot of old friends and check off 5 more states off our list 🙂
I’m so behind that I seriously contemplated never catching back up… but hey, it’s the end of September and I had started this draft, so might as well *try* to finish it!
- New Year’s Resolution Update: same ol’ same ol’. No Yelp reviews (sigh) and have not been logging finances. Sorry self! Still doing well on flossing, avoiding fast food/soda/coffee, and reading books!
- Recently discovered that I can multi-task my YA reading — I can walk/sometimes jog on our treadmill while devouring easy-to-read YA fiction at the same time. Wahoo!
- The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays (FIREWORKS!). Played Settlers & did to-go Thai BBQ before watching lots of fireworks from our friend D’s parents house in Los Feliz.
- Attended our church’s Women’s Retreat and it was sweeter than I could have hoped. Had a really, really good conversation and started reading this book on grace that has really blown my mind and challenged my thinking.
- Celebrated my 26th birthday! Had a bunch of great friends over for Settlers, catching up, and delicious healthy food from CCC.
- In preparation for aforementioned gathering, finally bought/sold some furniture on Craigslist 🙂 So satisfying!
- Found out dear friends are moving to Louisville (pronounced “Looa-ville”) and planned a trip to visit them utilizing our newly earned Southwest Companion Pass.
- Regular quarterly trip up to Portland for work — discovered Prasad in the Pearl District (so crucial for the mornings), ate at Little Bird, stayed at the Governor Hotel (which is SUPER close to my dear favorite place Powells), and another fun trip to the Nike Employee Store
- Got a much needed massage after traveling — love Sophia.
- Indulged in a night out compliments of Dine LA at Coupa Cafe in Beverly Hills — REALLY REALLY GOOD broccoli soup. Like the best I’ve ever had. And B wanted to lick my bowl clean–that’s saying a lot. Broccoli soup.
- A friend from Cal performed in an alumni performance of RENT at her HS–my first time seeing it! Was a lot of fun, and stayed out late (gasp!) to grab after-dinner drinks at BRU HAUS nearby.
- A really fun Planning Team outing and intense planning meeting — my first time doing laser tag in SO LONG!
- A couple of exciting engagements and LOTS of upcoming weddings! Two in September (B and I are each going to one, ironically), starting to plan for my HS friend’s November wedding in Nor-Nor-Cal <- ha (probably without B), and save-the-dates for our first 2014 weddings in February & March. Crazy!
- In the world of summer television, got into the super-cheesy but still entertaining Who Dunnit and while super late to the party on Master Chef – we LOVE it!
- Babysat our friends’ little boy N… seriously such a cutie pie and Bella loves him too 😀
- John Mayer concert at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Irvine. So much fun! B and I both like him (which is unusual) and really looking forward to his new album.
- Checked out the new West LA location of Daikokuya with my stepbro A and his gf K, fun to meet up with them in our hood 🙂
I made the mistake of putting off this post and we’re already in the full swing of July. Here’s to what I can remember!
- New Years Resolutions Update: I still haven’t finished OMNIVORE’S DILEMMA, but, I read a good 30+ other books (primarily YA). I completely failed at trying a new recipe & Yelp-ing has been completely replaced by inhaling books. Still flossing almost daily, still doggedly avoiding fast food & not a sip of soda. It’s only halfway through the year… and astounded by how hard it is to establish good habits and make them last a YEAR. Maybe that’s good rationale for picking a few of them–maybe at least one will stick.
- As mentioned above, still reading a LOT. Regularly visiting the library, following some of my favorite authors on Twitter (the Internet has totally revolutionized book marketing…), updating/scouring Goodreads for books, and reading. Lots of reading. I hope I’m not ruining my eyes…
- Semi/almost-triannual haircut at Etude Lounge — I only trust Koreans with my hair.
- Celebrated D + S’s wedding in Anaheim Hills — one of B’s best friends and a sweet reunion of friends.
- Lots of family gatherings for Father’s Day (the usual) — really liked (and overate) at a restaurant front of a catering company in Orange. Super recommend.
- Another visit to the endocrinologist, which led to a visit with a dietitian. Was advised to watch my carb intake (did you know grapes and melons have a LOT of carbs?!) and return for more visits in a few months. Joy.
- Made a midweek trek down to the OC for my stepbrother A’s high school graduation. A tiny bit nostalgic, but otherwise celebratory and excited for him and what is to come.
- Made a semi-regular trek out to Oak Tree to please B 🙂
- Summer movie season continues with Man of Steel… I actually liked it! Slower, more emotional, but I felt like it was building a lot of the story and characters in preparation for what will inevitably be a trilogy.
- And wrapped up the month with a seriously epic Beyonce concert @ the Staples Center with J. My phone died early so I didn’t get a ton of pictures… but it was very artistic, LOTS of multimedia, a ridiculous amount of crazy lighting, and super fun. Expensive, though, so maybe once in a lifetime!
- Spent a lot of time researching and planning for our big trip to Seattle!
- Extended a layover in NorCal to indulge our nostalgia. Driving through Berkeley was a trip because so much has changed even in a few years. Spent the afternoon catching up and talking shop with a couple wedding photographer friends (Mark Kuroda, Jerry & Ingrid), then hopped on a plane to Seattle. Probably too much for this recap–another post, maybe.
- Discovered and now a huge fan of DogVacay — basically like Airbnb — where you can find people who are willing to “host” your dog while you travel, an alternative to kennels or dog hotels. Bella gets easily anxious and I think she prefers the company of people to more dogs, so it worked out really, really well for us.
- New Years Resolutions Update: This wasn’t the best month for resolutions. I read a lot, but didn’t finish the original books I had designated for this month (Good to Great and Omnivore’s Dilemma). Made tasty roasted broccoli (simple, but new to us) and this tangy Detoxinista Asian-style cabbage slaw. I’ve been really bad at Yelping. My “to review” bookmarks are out of control. Here’s to a new month?
- Thanks to Yelp, got a couple free tickets to The Royale at the Kirk Douglas Theater so B and I made it a date night with dinner at one of the newish restaurants in downtown Culver City then walked over to the show. It was something, that’s for sure. A little cliched in the storyline but I liked experiencing and doing something new.
- Summer movie season officially began with Iron Man 3. How many of these Marvel movies do you think Disney can pump out over the next few years? There has to be an end, right? And for the record, I like Gwyneth. She has mysteriously attracted a lot of haters over the years, but I like her. So there. Followed by Star Trek: Into the Darkness — was pleased by how they handled marketing without giving away real plot points (kudos, Hollywood!) but aside from the awesome Benedict Cumberbatch, felt like the story lacked a lot of oomph.
- Summer concerts began with Sara B at the El Rey with G! My first concert in who knows how long–and it was so good. Followed by Daughter at the Troubadour, which was a very different experience, but a fun girls outing with G, C, and M.
- Babysat for friends so they could go see Iron Man 3 (and they were disappointed! boo)
- (Almost) monthly date with J at Olympic Chungookjang – one of her regular spots that I’ve never been to! Love talking with this girl about work, church, family, the future, stupid things, music, media…
- Reading a lot of YA fiction (see previous blog post) and fell deeply in love with Eleanor & Park
- As most holidays are for us–lots and lots of meals for mother’s day. Morangak with my mom’s side, O Fine sushi with my dad’s, then Brasserie Pascal with the in-laws. Lots of love for mamas!
- Then, celebrated my dad’s & stepsister S’s birthdays at Lunar in Irvine – jjajjangmyun!
- Busy at church too — Planning Team is growing, and had our first “real” CM meeting at a park in Irvine — beautiful weather, sweet people.
- At aforementioned park, found out there are people who yell at you for how you treat your dog and act all crazylike. Noted.
- D&A’s beautiful, beautiful wedding at the Brookside Equestrian Center
- Played a LOT of intense Settlers (Cities & Knights + Seafarer’s) with D&V for three late nights in a row… then again on Memorial Day with some kind of crazy two-combined-sets-modified-version in a group of 8. Seriously, we’re becoming experts!
The weather really feels like summer, and just in time. Here’s to the kicking off the second-half of 2013 already!
I really like putting these monthly recaps together.
- New Years Resolution Update: finished both my book on hyperthyroidism and The End of Overeating (details here) & made Thai yellow curry (in addition to the homemade granola and almond milk). No fast food or soda, and daily flossing & Yelping more-or-less on track.
- Thanks (kind of?) to my health issues, I’ve been working from home more often which has helped restore my work-life balance tremendously. This also means I’ve been able to cook more often, though we still eat out a good amount.
- Special occasions galore! Coworker’s birthday at Guelaguetza, sister-in-law’s birthday at Sushi Noguchi & festivities at church too — Easter Sunday, 2nd church anniversary
- Caught whatever bug that was going around (sore throat -> sinuses) and shared it (ha) with B. All better now, though
- Celebrated A’s carnival-themed outdoor bridal shower on a really nice Saturday
- Randomly connected with a handful of college friends again via email and in person (L indulged me and let me choose a veggie Chinese restaurant for her visit!)
- Also, long-overdue webcam date with my high school girlfriends ❤ 10+ years, going strong.
- Kobe 😦 Lakers 😦 😦 😦 & the playoffs in the West are super intense.
- Regular meals with dear M continue–checked out the mini version of the famouse Shojin in downtown called shojin in Culver City
- Spent an ungodly amount of time on the phone with my insurance carrier, insurance group, and doctor’s office sorting out the long-awaited endocrinologist referral. This is why I shoulda paid more for a PPO… #shouldawouldacoulda
- Visits to the endocrinologist, radiologist, and dermatologist. Mixed results and more weighting
- Went to my first 2 yoga classes ever at Santa Monica Yoga (late to the party would be a kind understatement) at the encouragement of my massage therapist– did “restorative” yoga and what they call “slow deep stretch” which was a lot more restful and peaceful than strength by any means–perfect for me and my tense neck/back.
- Last, but not least, celebrated our 3-year (!!!) anniversary with a dinner at JiRaffe (disappointing), followed by a lunch at Lemonade & walk-around in Abbott Kinney 🙂
- Made another trip up to Portland for work — starting to really love that city (and unusually awesome weather doesn’t hurt)
The year is officially 1/3 over. Bring on the summer!!
Time for some hi-hi-hi-highlights!
- New Years Resolutions update: finished Never Eat Alone & made the miso soup as I mentioned a few posts back. Also made this cauliflower cous-cous from A House in the Hills — didn’t get the flavor quite right, but the texture was great!
- After missing it in theaters, bought & watched Breaking Dawn Part 2 — I was very surprised by the “twist” they had rumored about for so long. Can’t believe the series is over now!
- Semi-annual dental cleaning where I found out I have yet another cavity (followed by a subsequent filling). I am the worst almost-dentist’s wife ever…
- Got a series of blood tests to try to diagnose why I’ve been feeling so fatigued/exhausted/headache-y (more on this later, hopefully)
- Long overdue visit to the Massage Therapy Center — I love Sophia even though I’m killer-sore afterward and she was concerned by how tense I was… uh oh.
- Attended a free seminar by the Green Smoothie Girl with M — convinced to drink more green smoothies and added a Vitamix to my wishlist
- Banana Republic Friends & Family promotion weekend — 50% off in-store is *so* hard to resist!
- Took two Fridays off to spend some quality time with B (short one-week spring break) — Tried a few new(ish) restaurants on lunch/dinner dates — the famous ramen at Tsujita, the new Chipotle in Culver City, Palomino in Westwood
- Awesome month for music — new releases (JT 20/20 & OneRepublic Native), tour announcements (John Mayer & Sara Bareilles) & the premiere of the Voice
- A lot of quality time with LA friends, including Lakers games, some poker & discovering how awesome the Seafarers expansion for Settlers is!
- Some quality time with Non-LA friends too, including a mini class(+friends) reunion in Irvine @ Pieology and lunch at the French Market in Abbot Kinney with J and J
- Activity at church is picking up a lot — planning for a spring college retreat + an influx of new members and families led to the official launches of a Planning Team and a Children’s Ministry (yay!)
- Babysat an adorable almost-9 month old named B so a co-worker could go on their first real date night since he was born!
- My first organic/vegan/non-toxic mani-pedi at Color Me Green in Manhattan Beach (thanks to aforementioned co-worker)
Here’s to April! Can you believe 2013 is a QUARTER over?
February was a lot less eventful in terms of going out… probably because I worked like a maniac and needed to detox.
- Did my first 5K–the Color Run at Dodgers Stadium! I would totally do it again even though I ended up not as colorful as I had expected/hoped.
- Celebrated a lot of birthdays, including and most importantly B’s. Lots of family gatherings and restaurant visits, some better than others.
- Got sick on a Saturday night, which led to watching more of the Superbowl than I ever have in my life (it was surprisingly entertaining)
- Cashed in a Christmas gift card to J.Crew when a good sale came up online (I am a sucker for online shopping)
- Another lunch date (yippee!) with Jeanette at Umami Burger (thought it was whatevs)
- Stopped by an old friend’s birthday party (I told you there were a lot of birthdays) where they were playing a strangely engaging home-made game of identify-the-Christian-figure-by-their-headshot
- Went to the long-awaited, much-anticipated, unofficial grand opening of LYFE Kitchen in Culver City (here’s the story behind it)
- Bought tickets to see Beyonce at Staples this summer with Jeanette–SO expensive, but hopefully will be worth it
- Listened to JT’s song Mirrors on repeat for weeks
Maybe February hadn’t been as low-key as I thought…