- New Years Resolutions Update: This wasn’t the best month for resolutions. I read a lot, but didn’t finish the original books I had designated for this month (Good to Great and Omnivore’s Dilemma). Made tasty roasted broccoli (simple, but new to us) and this tangy Detoxinista Asian-style cabbage slaw. I’ve been really bad at Yelping. My “to review” bookmarks are out of control. Here’s to a new month?
- Thanks to Yelp, got a couple free tickets to The Royale at the Kirk Douglas Theater so B and I made it a date night with dinner at one of the newish restaurants in downtown Culver City then walked over to the show. It was something, that’s for sure. A little cliched in the storyline but I liked experiencing and doing something new.
- Summer movie season officially began with Iron Man 3. How many of these Marvel movies do you think Disney can pump out over the next few years? There has to be an end, right? And for the record, I like Gwyneth. She has mysteriously attracted a lot of haters over the years, but I like her. So there. Followed by Star Trek: Into the Darkness — was pleased by how they handled marketing without giving away real plot points (kudos, Hollywood!) but aside from the awesome Benedict Cumberbatch, felt like the story lacked a lot of oomph.
- Summer concerts began with Sara B at the El Rey with G! My first concert in who knows how long–and it was so good. Followed by Daughter at the Troubadour, which was a very different experience, but a fun girls outing with G, C, and M.
- Babysat for friends so they could go see Iron Man 3 (and they were disappointed! boo)
- (Almost) monthly date with J at Olympic Chungookjang – one of her regular spots that I’ve never been to! Love talking with this girl about work, church, family, the future, stupid things, music, media…
- Reading a lot of YA fiction (see previous blog post) and fell deeply in love with Eleanor & Park
- As most holidays are for us–lots and lots of meals for mother’s day. Morangak with my mom’s side, O Fine sushi with my dad’s, then Brasserie Pascal with the in-laws. Lots of love for mamas!
- Then, celebrated my dad’s & stepsister S’s birthdays at Lunar in Irvine – jjajjangmyun!
- Busy at church too — Planning Team is growing, and had our first “real” CM meeting at a park in Irvine — beautiful weather, sweet people.
- At aforementioned park, found out there are people who yell at you for how you treat your dog and act all crazylike. Noted.
- D&A’s beautiful, beautiful wedding at the Brookside Equestrian Center
- Played a LOT of intense Settlers (Cities & Knights + Seafarer’s) with D&V for three late nights in a row… then again on Memorial Day with some kind of crazy two-combined-sets-modified-version in a group of 8. Seriously, we’re becoming experts!
The weather really feels like summer, and just in time. Here’s to the kicking off the second-half of 2013 already!