Unlike recent years, I decided to make a handful of New Year’s resolutions the first few days of 2013 and want to keep track of them here. Some of them are going strong, some are beginning to wane, and others have failed completely… though from time to time I contemplate trying to revive them and trek on.
Part of me is in disbelief that 1/6th of the year has already passed, and the other part of me can’t believe how hard it is to keep something going for only 1/6th of a year.
- Floss – I’ve lived with religious flossers most of my life, but hated flossing. This resolution has helped a ton, though. I’ve skipped a handful of days, but my default is to floss regularly every night now. My hygienist better appreciate!
- Write one Yelp review – On average, I’ve written at least 1 Yelp review/day this year. I was a lot better about it in January (hardly skipped a day, except when Yelp was down for maintenance… ha) but it’s slowly becoming less fun… uh oh…
- Record daily spending/finances in YNAB – Utter failure. We were really good about this for the first few weeks of January, but then we went on our trip to Portland and completely stopped. We’ll have to restart eventually, but are both dreading it.
- Make one new recipe – Barely, barely made the cut off for February, but this one’s alive and kicking. Month one: Smitten Kitchen’s sugar snap pea salad (from her cookbook) which was a lot of chopping/prep, but delicious. Month two: hoisin-glazed brussel sprouts which were just okay. Month three: miso vegetable soup, which I modified a little bit, but loved.
- Bake one loaf of bread – I’ve been excited about baking bread for a while now… and finally bought all the supplies I needed (including this Artisan Bread book) and baked a few yummy loaves in January. Then, I realized I wanted to start cutting carbs out of my diet (a topic for another post) and ran out of days in February (3 fewer days/month makes a big difference!) so this goal might have gone kaput.
- Read one book – Short version: going well. Long version: In January, I read this book on willpower that I picked up at a used bookstore on our trip to SLC that was good (not great). In February I read Malcolm Gladwell’s “What the Dog Saw” (coincidentally also purchased at a used bookstore, but this time from Powell’s, in Portland) which started out really interesting but got dry toward the end. For March, I’m in the middle of “Never Eat Alone” which is super interesting, but I’m not exactly sure how to apply. I have a ton of books on my list (more than enough for one/month for 2013) and I’m excited about this resolution.
- Don’t drink soda – With the exception of some home-brewed root beer I drank on a LRW team outing, I’ve kept this one.
- Don’t eat fast food – So far, so good. Now and then I want to grab one of B’s fries and I occasionally miss McDonald’s ice cream… but so far, so good.
Whew! I guess it’s easier to not do things than it is to do them. I’m hopeful I’ll be able to keep up with most of these for the rest of the year, but we’ll see.